When you are planning on extending your house, it can be tempting to just jump right in and start building. However, unless you have experience with home extensions or have hired a team of professionals before, it is best that you do your research first. Here are some tips for planning an extension with no experience:
Before You Get Started
- Set a budget, and stick to it.
- Make sure you have the right size for your needs.
- Consult an architect to ensure that all of the details are considered and accounted for prior to beginning construction. You don’t want to find out that there is no way to install a bathroom after you’ve already poured concrete walls!
- Ensure that you have all necessary permits to create extra space in place before starting any work; this will save time and money down the road.
Do Some Research on Your Own
Research is the key to success. The first thing you should do is look at various extension styles, and try to decide which one you want for your home. You can find plenty of examples online, or even go visit some houses that have extensions already built.
If your house has a pitched roof (i.e., it slopes), then an extension will require a new roof, whether it’s pitched or flat. If it doesn’t already have solar panels installed on the existing roof, you may want to consider adding them before starting any extensions.
Ask Family, Friends and Acquaintances for Recommendations
Ask family, friends, and acquaintances for recommendations. You can also ask your neighbours as they may have had a business or home extension done recently. If you know someone who has had an extension to their home or business, then you can ask them about their experience with it.
Ask Your Contractor Plenty of Questions
As the homeowner, you will want to make sure that the extension is going to be built by a team that knows what it’s doing. Ask them:
- How long have they been in business?
- What qualifications do they have?
- What materials are they going to use for your project?
- How much does an extension like yours typically cost?
- How long did similar projects take for them in the past?
Check Reviews, Ratings, and Qualifications Before Hiring a Home-Extension Company
When you are looking for a company to build your home extension, it is important to check their reviews and qualifications first.
- Check the company’s website carefully. If they have one, it should include contact information, examples of their work and any certifications that they may have.
- Check the company’s social media accounts. Most businesses will have an active presence on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram where you can learn more about them by reading reviews from previous clients or checking out before-and-after photos of completed projects. By doing this before hiring a builder you can make sure that they are reputable!
Check the Building Plans to Make Sure That the Work Will Be Up to Code
The next step is to check that the plans are up to code, and not outdated. You should also make sure that they have been approved by an architect and/or building inspector.
If you’re going to be working with an extension specialist, this is where you will get all of your answers about how far along your plans are, what needs to be done next, etc.
Select Materials That Will Complement Your House’s Exterior
When you’re planning any kind of home improvement project, it’s always a good idea to review your options and choose the materials that will complement your house’s exterior. For example, if you’re building an extension that requires new foundations and walls, you’ll want to consider using materials that will last for many years to come.
If you’re looking at flooring options: use tiles rather than carpeting because they’re easy to clean and can be replaced easily when necessary. You could even consider replacing them every few years so they don’t get worn out over time!
The best way to get started is by doing some research on your own. You will be able to find out what materials are available, how much they cost, and what styles look best with your house’s exterior. Once you have an idea of what you want, it’s time to ask family, friends, and acquaintances for recommendations.