Trees are a vital part of our environment and our properties, offering shade, beauty, and a host of ecological benefits. However, they also require care and attention, especially when they pose potential risks. Knowing when to call a professional tree company is crucial for the safety and well-being of your property and its inhabitants. Here are five signs that indicate it’s time to pick up the phone and call the experts.
- Visible Signs of Disease or Decay One of the most apparent indicators that you need a tree company is the presence of disease or decay in your trees. Symptoms can include:
- Fungus, such as mushrooms, grow at the base of the tree or on the trunk.
- Peeling bark or gaping wounds in the trunk.
- Dead or hanging branches in the upper crown.
- Leaves that are discolored, wilted, or prematurely falling off during growing season.
These signs often suggest internal decay, which can compromise the tree’s structural integrity, making it a hazard.
- Damage After a Storm Storms can inflict significant damage on trees, leaving them in a precarious state. If you notice any of the following after severe weather, it’s time to call a tree company:
- Partially uprooted trees.
- Large, broken branches.
- Cracks in the trunk or major limbs.
- Trees leaning dangerously close to structures or power lines.
A professional assessment is crucial to determine whether the tree can be saved or needs removal.
- Overhanging Branches Near Power Lines Trees that grow too close to power lines are not just a risk to your property but also pose a public safety hazard. If you notice branches encroaching on power lines, do not attempt to prune them yourself. Tree companies have the expertise and equipment to handle these situations safely.
- Changes in Soil or Root Structure at the Base Changes around the base of the tree can be subtle but significant indicators of problems. These include:
- Soil heaving up at the base of the tree.
- Exposed roots that were previously covered.
- Fungal growth around the roots.
These signs can indicate root rot or destabilization, which could lead to the tree falling.
- The Tree is Dead or Dying A dead or dying tree, characterized by a lack of leaves, brittle bark, and dry, snapping branches, is a ticking time bomb. It’s only a matter of time before it falls, potentially causing damage or injury.
Why Calling a Professional Tree Company is Crucial Dealing with tree issues is not just about having the right tools. It requires expertise in tree biology, understanding the risks, and knowing how to mitigate them safely. Professional tree companies offer:
- Expert assessment to determine the best course of action.
- Proper equipment and techniques for safe removal or pruning.
- Knowledge of local regulations and permits required for tree work.
- Liability insurance to protect you in case of accidents.
Conclusion Trees are an invaluable asset, but they also come with responsibilities. Recognizing the signs that necessitate professional tree care is essential for maintaining a safe and beautiful property. Whether it’s due to disease, storm damage, or safety hazards, a professional tree company can provide the necessary services to address the issue effectively and safely. Remember, timely intervention can not only save your property from potential damage but also prolong the life of your trees, ensuring they continue to thrive and beautify your surroundings.